Wednesday 11 April 2012

Themed Cruises - Do They Really Work?

It always makes me smile when I see cruise lines advertise themed cruises. I often wonder how customers perceive such sailings. Has there ever been any market research to suggest that regular cruisers are put off cruises because of a specific theme?

Having sailed on past P&O Cruises with themes, I didn't see any adverse effect on the holiday for any of the guests on-board who were quite clearly not interested in the theme whatsoever. But it still doesn't convince me that a theme (in many instances) sells a cruise. 

There are obvious exceptions - there always will be - but I do exclude ship charters from this debate.

It is my belief that the underlying reason for someone booking a cruise holiday is still the time of year and the destinations - when both marry up, people will book.

So, the logical assumption to make themed cruises work - is targeted marketing..!! To make sure regular cruisers or new to cruising are not put off, thinking the ship will be full of "geeky people" - don't go overboard (sorry for the pun) on the theme itself.

That will be another project to undertake in the busy life of The Cruise Village.

This is a cruise news blog entry by Phil.

Phil Nuttall
Director
The Cruise Village